4 Days, 3 Nights
From the starting point it is 1,500 meters to Miriakamba Hut at 2,500 meters.
There are two main trails that lead to Miriakamba Hut.
- The long trail via a massive fig tree (a beautiful tree that you can walk through) with an average walk of 5 to 6 hours.
- The short trail with an average walk of 3 to 4 hours.
Dinner and overnight at Miriakamba Hut.
Hiking time: 3 to 4 hours
We walk from Miriakamba Hut to Saddle Hut at 3,500 meters via Mgongo wa Tembo, a Swahili word for this part of the mountain that means an elephant’s back.
After eating lunch and taking a break, we walk to little Meru Peak to acclimatize and then back down again for overnight.
Hiking time: 5 to 6 hours
We start at 1 a.m. and walk from Saddle Hut to the big Meru peak at 4,565 meters (also known as Socialist Peak).
After lunch we walk back to Miriakamba Hut at 2,500 meters for dinner and overnight.
- via long trail: 3 to 4 hours
- via short trail: 2 to 3 hours
We walk from Miriakamba Hut to the main starting point at 1,500 meters to collect your certificates.
Lunch and drive back to Arusha.
3 Days, 2 Nights
To make the trip with three days trekking, we would skip the second stop at Miriakamba Hut and walk straight from Saddle Hut at 3,500 meters all the way to the starting point soon after the summit.
The average walk from Saddle Hut to the gate will depend on your strength (normally it takes 4 to 5 hours).
- The first night will be at Miriakamba Hut at 2,500 meters.
- The second night will be at Saddle Hut at 3,500 meters, acclimatizing to little Meru peak at 3,800 meters before the hike to the main peak in the night.